Before you start trying to trim toenails, give oral medications, give subcutaneous fluids, give Insulin shots or anything else that cats are unlikely to volunteer for, here are two videos that demonstrate important principles. In the long run, the most effective technique for any of these procedures for most cats is to give lots of bribes to the cat before the procedure (petting, brushing, or combing, or food and treats), then do the procedure, being gentle but also as firm as needed to get it done, then go back to more bribing after the deed is done. In the end, you can spend time loving on the cat before and after, or you can spend the same time chasing your cat around, dragging them out from under the bed, and fighting them to get the job done. Would you rather everyone ends up calm and happy, or have everyone end up stressed and unhappy and unlikely to repeat the process too many more times? Your choice. Your goal should be to finish with a purring cat, reasonably willing to go through the procedure again.
1) Soften up the cat with some good quality lovin' before and after the procedure - petting, combing, brushing, chin scratching all work.
2) Be gentle, but also as firm as necessary to get the job done. Don't give in too easily, or you may lose the battle and the war.
Remember - be gentle and firm.
Good bribes before and after.
How to trim cat toenails
1) A good text with good photos of trimming cat toenails.
2) A nicely illustrated text description of cat nail trims.
3) An excellent how-to video.
How to give oral medications manually
1) A nicely illustrated text description of the process.
2) The best video demo for oral meds - with variations and options.
3) A very good video demo. The head position is a bit extreme, and the cat resists, but notice how relaxed the cat appears when it's over. That's success.
How to give subcutaneous fluids to cats
1) A good guide to feline subcu fluids with photo illustrations.
2) A good video demo of cat home fluid administration.
3) Another good video demo.
How to give Insulin injections to cats
1) A well done video demo of cat Insulin shots.
2) A well illustrated text description - particularly good for teaching about the syringes and drawing up doses.
3) A good cat video demo where they've shaved the hair away to better visualize the injection itself.
How to trim toenails and give oral medications, subcutaneous fluids, and Insulin injections to cats